Saturday, April 10, 2010

1: Five Popular Drugstore Products

Hey everyone :) 


So recently I purchased 5 makeup products from my local drugstore (you can buy them all at whatever drugstore near you). Overall, I'm mixed about them. I love some, but dislike others. Here you go... 


Maybelline New York Instant Age Rewind Double Face Protector (light shade):
I believe it was about $11 and although I'm a teen and don't need products for aging, I think it works pretty well. Having pretty dark under eye circles, I'm always on the search for better concealers (let me know your favorite) and I definitely like this one. Basically what it is, is a double ended concealer. One side is the concealer, and the other is a highlighter (they call it illuminator). I apply the concealer under my eyes and the illuminator on my brow bone, and occasionally my cheek bones and the bridge of my nose. The concealer does have some flaws though. Although I really like the illuminator, it's sheer yet noticeable, I find the concealer to have decent but not amazing coverage. As well, it works great the first few times that you use it, but as you get to the middle and end of the product, which comes quickly, it gets flaky and dry, and doesn't blend well at all. This may happen with a lot of other concealers, but it happens so quickly with the product that I have to re-buy it pretty often. It comes in shades for all different skin tones.  2.5
 to 3.5 out of 5. 




CoverGirl Outlast Lipstain (in Flirty Nude): This lipstain goes for between $8-$12 depending on where you buy it. A lipstain is neither a lip gloss nor a lipstick. It's basically a product that gives the color of a lipstick, but goes on without that heavy feel and lasts for much longer. This lipstain definitely does that. For one, it's a very buildable color, meaning that if you don't want a very bright, deep shade, you can use less pressure, but if you do, just put more pressure on when applying. There are a few things I don't like about this though. One, it's not a good product to buy if you have dry and/or flaky lips because it tends to make your lips feel more dry and it sets into every crease of your lip. But I've been using an overnight lipbalm (many brands are good but I use Neosporin Overnight Renewal Therapy) and my lips feel much more hydrated when I wear the lipstain now. As well, because it is a stain, keep in mind that it doesn't blend like a lip gloss, so put it on every inch of your lip. And apply more color in the center of your lips because it does not come out as pigmented there compared to around the edges of your lip. Also, it's not really a big deal, but for at least the color I bought, it was not true to the name at all. When I bought "flirty nude" I was under the assumption that it would be a nude, beige shade, but in fact it was a really bright, deep red.It's very flattering, just not what I had anticipated. But anyways, I really like the applicator. Unlike a lipstick that becomes rounder with use and makes it harder to apply, the CoverGirl Outlast has a pen-like applicator that works really well in achieving a precise coverage. It comes in 9 other shades. 3.5 to 4 out of 5. 


CoverGirl Smokey Shadowblast (in Bronze Fire): You can buy this for around $8 or $9. I saw the commercial for this and right away made a plan to buy it because it looked so cool. It's a dual ended eye product, one end is round and the lighter base color, and the other is a very tapered, darker liner color. With it, you're supposed to get an easy but great-looking smoky eye. I do really like the staying power and the shimmer of the base color (it's a shimmery light gold/bronze) but over time it did crease a lot. With the liner end, I don't really see how it creates that very smoky look, and it didn't show up well on my lower lash line and water line. Also, once the darker end is used a couple of times, the sharpness fades, and I don't know what I'm really supposed to do with that haha. Maybe it's just the way I put it on, or the fact that I bought lighter colors from the traditional black smoky eye, but the finished product on my eye looked more crisp than a smokey look. The Smokey Shadowblast comes in 5 other shades. 2 out of 5 


CoverGirl Exact Eyelights Eye-Brightening Mascara (in Black Gold): This isn't CoverGirl's most recent product but I LOVEEEE it! I bought it when it first came out (after I saw Rihanna's commercial for it haha) and although there wasn't a drastic enhancement in my eye color, there was definitely a noticeable one. Even now, and it's been almost a year that I've used it, I still get compliments on my eyes. The color I use which is for hazel eyes is called Black Gold, and on the lashes it's hard to see the actual gold, but on the brush, it's definitely visible so you know it's not just a flat black color. It lasts really well like a lot of other mascaras, and it's great with lengthening. By the end of the day, when I remove my makeup, my lashes are dry and a little flaky, but I expect that from wearing a mascara for so long. I really don't have many significant complaints about it at all and it's definitely one of the best products I own, including expensive brand name beauty products. It comes in three other shades for blue, brown, and green eyes. 4.5 out of 5 


Nivea Sun-Kissed Beautiful Legs (for fair to medium skin): I got mine for around $10. This product is a gradual sunless tanning lotion, so it's supposed to moisturize while giving you a natural looking tan. Because it's for legs, the product also advertises that it's formula is shave-minimizing. There were definitely two major ups and downs for me with this product. The major plus was that on the back of the bottle, it says you achieve your full tan in 5 days and from just the second day I had suchhhh a color change. Not only that, but the color was a natural looking yet very noticeable tan; not a fake or orange looking shade. But the major downside of the tanning lotion was that it was VERY streaky... so streaky that in the sun light it looked like actual clear dark lines running down my legs. So although I wish i could use it like any other normal lotion, I have to rub it in really thoroughly and also make sure that I cover every inch of my legs. This lotion also comes in a shade for darker skin tones.  If this doesn't sound like the best for you there are so many other lotions just like this but with different prices, bottle types, etc. 3 our of 5  


I hope this helped you out, and leave a comment for any questions of comments you have! :) 


-Sara 

No comments:

Post a Comment